Are you experiencing Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
There are many causes for Burning sensation inner thigh near groin but meralgia parasthetica is the most important one which needs medical attention.
People who suffer with should visit a doctor.
There is no need to worry about it can be diagnosed easily using somediagnostic tests and treated accordingly. Burning sensation inner thigh near groin, also called meralgia parasthetica, is caused by pressure on the femoral lateral cutaneous nerve which gives off sensation to the surface of the skin on the front and side of the thigh in humans.
Most people who have meralgia paresthetica describe a burning pain in the thigh area as first symptom , there are number of causes and things which can increase pressure on the nerve including excess weight, pregnancy weight, some surgery, and weird but excessively tight clothing.
In most of the cases, Burning sensation inner thigh near groin tha is meralgia paresthetica goes away on its own. In some other cases, need to consider treatment options to reduce pressure on the nerve may be needed.
what you will read next :
- What are the symptoms of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- What are the causes of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- What are the risk factors for Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- How to diagnosis Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- What is the treatment for Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- What are the ways to prevent Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
What are the symptoms of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
Burning sensation inner thigh near groin causes a number of symptoms that include:
- Numbness, stabbing, tingling like feeling , or burning sensation at the upper outer thigh on the body
- No sensation during touching the skin on the upper outer thigh
- Pain that may extend down to the outer side of the knee sometimes.
- Symptoms that can be present on only one side of the body.
- Worsening pain when the thigh is being touched lightly
- Worsening pain after walking or standing for longer time.
- Not so common aching in the groin which may spread to the buttocks.
What are the causes of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
- Meralgia paresthetica
Burning sensation inner thigh near groin occurs when the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve that supplies or we can say gives sensation to the surface of the outer thigh becomes compressed, or pinched by certain things.
The lateral femoral cutaneous nerve is completely a sensory nerve and doesn’t affect the ability to use the leg muscles at all.
In most population or we can say most people lateral femoral cutaneous nerve passes through the groin to the upper thigh without any trouble But what happens in meralgia paresthetica, the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which gets trapped often under the inguinal ligament, that runs along the groin from the abdomen then to the upper thigh.
Common causes of this nerve compression or pinch include any condition which increases pressure on the groin are include following
- Tight clothing like belts, corsets and high tight pants
- Obesity or excess weight gain
- Wearing a heavy tool belt
- Pregnancy weight gain
- Scar tissue present near the inguinal ligament due to new injury or past surgery
- Nerve injuries which can be caused due to certain diseases like due to diabetes or seat belt injury after a severe vehicle accident, also can cause meralgia paresthetica.
Several other conditions like the mentioned below can cause a warm feeling in your thigh which can feel like a burning sensation in inner thigh including nerve, muscle, and joint problems.
Nerve pain is the type of pain that sometimes can be felt as warmth Or burn which can progress into sharp pain in the later stages.
Pain that is due to issue from muscles and joints can be felt as a warm sensation or burn like due to the inflammatory process of the underlying problems .
Here are few conditions mentioned below :
A radiculopathy which takes place due to nerve root irritation or the compression near spine, can cause number of leg symptoms, including the feeling of warmth or burn in the inner thigh. Radiculopathy if takes place in the lumbar nerve roots L1-L4 can cause:
- Pain along the way of outer side of the thigh, which is typically localized within a 5 to 8 cm wide area.
- Numbness and weakness in the outer and inner thigh near groin.
When this radicular pain from the very spinal nerve roots radiates from the lower back into the inner thigh, leg, or sometimes even foot, it is called sciatica.
But this sciatica is mostly caused when one or more nerve roots from the L4 to S1 are affected or we can say pinched.
- Greater trochanteric pain syndrome (GTPS)
This syndrome is defined by many or we can say range of problems in the hip and can cause symptoms like burn or aches in the side of the thigh and hip and sometimes inside the thigh too.
GTPS usually causes chronic intermittent pain on the side of the thigh, hip, and sometimes buttock.
The pain mostly increases with activity or moment and while lying down on the affected side it gets worse.
- Hip osteoarthritis
Wearing and tearing arthritis of the hip joint may cause the sensation of burn in the front and side of your thigh and sometimes on inner thigh too.
Additional symptoms include following:
- Pain along the way of side or front of the thigh, groin, and hip
- Stiffness in the hip area
- Locking or cicking sound from the hip joint during movements or activities
What are the risk factors for Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
The following can increase risk of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin or
- Extra weight :Gaining more and more weight or we can say being obese can increase the pressure on the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve which can lead to this condition.
- Pregnancy :As baby grows the growing belly puts added pressure on the groin area , through which the lateral femoral cutaneous nerve passes and pressure is put on it as well leading to Burning sensation inner thigh near groin.
- Diabetes : Diabetes is a disease in which nerve injury can happen and if injury is to this particular never then can lead to meralgia paresthetica and burning sensation in thigh.
- Age : people who are in age between 30 and 60 are at a higher risk of developing Burning sensation inner thigh near groin
How to diagnosis Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
We base the diagnosis of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin on the proper medical history, including what patient tells about the symptoms, and a physical examination.
Also other studies might be asked to order if doctor is suspicious of another condition causing the symptoms.
- Medical history : The doctor will ask about medical history and might ask few questions about the symptoms to a patient. These will include following:
- What type of sensations are felt in the inner thigh near groin?
- Do those burning sensations go anywhere else?
- When did you first notice symptoms in your thigh?
- What are the things that make the pain feel better or worse?
- Do the symptoms stop a person from going to work or exercising or any other activity?
- Physical examination : doctor will perform a complete physical examination of the hip and thigh area and ask the patient to show exactly where the burning sensations are located. Doctor will also examine the back and knees, so to rule out other problems in those areas that could be causing the said symptoms.
- Some Additional tests : some tests may be ordered to confirm the definitive diagnosis like an X-ray can be requested of the hip and pelvic area.
What is the treatment for Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
The symptoms of Burning sensation inner thigh near groin are relieved by treating the underlying cause.
The process of treatment can involve losing some weight, trying wearing loose clothing, or avoiding certain restrictive items like tight belts.
Many people with Burning sensation inner thigh near groin or meralgia paresthetica benefit from other interventions too which include following :
- Physical therapy, some type of specialized exercises and stretches can be helpful in treating burning sensation inner thigh near groin.
- Phonophoresis, that uses ultrasound waves to help the body absorb topically applied pain medications
- Transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation which is to provide symptom relief uses an electric current to stimulate the nerve can be helpful in treating burning sensation inner thigh near groin.
The concerned doctor may recommend medications to help ease the symptoms, which includes following:
- Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory medicines
- Some type of antidepressants
- In some severe cases, corticosteroid injections or IV pain medications may be used to relieve the symptoms
What are the ways to prevent Burning sensation inner thigh near groin?
There is no way present to prevent Burning sensation inner thigh near groin.
But one can reduce the likelihood of developing the condition by doing following things :
- Losing weight
- Wearing loose clothing
- Avoiding tight girdles or even belts, including tool belts