General English name: Cyclopenthiazide
Brand: Navidrex, Navispare
Application: High blood pressure – water retention – heart failure
Dosage forms of cyclopentiazide
Combination brand containing cyclopentiazide
Navispare: cyclopentiazide and amiloride
Drug Information Cyclopentiazide
- Cyclopentiazide belongs to a group of medicines called thiazide diuretics. Diuretic is a drug that increases the volume of urine that can be excreted by the kidneys. These types of drugs are also called water pills. Diuretics are commonly prescribed to treat high blood pressure and heart failure. They are also used to remove excess fluid from the body when the body fluid volume is too high (a condition in which the body develops edema).
- Diuretics such as cyclopentiazide work by preventing the reabsorption of water and salt from kidney cells. This mechanism causes the kidneys to excrete more urine. Removing excess fluid from the body lowers blood pressure and reduces pressure on the heart. This drug is often prescribed in combination with other drugs to treat diseases. You may also be prescribed combination drug brands, such as Navispare, as the combination drug may reduce the dose of the drug used by the patient.
Dosage and method of cyclopentiazide
Carefully read the package leaflet before starting treatment with cyclopentiazide. This brochure will help you to get comprehensive information about the drug and its possible side effects.
The dose and amount of this drug varies from person to person; Use the medicine exactly as your doctor advised. The usual dose is 1-0.5 tablets a day.
As this drug is diuretic, it is best to take it at least 4 hours before bedtime.
Try to take cyclopentiazide at certain times of the day.
If you forget to take your daily dose of cyclopentiazide at the right time but soon forget, take the medicine; But if you remember when the next dose is near the hour, do not take the missed dose. You should not take two doses of the medicine together because of the missed dose.
Contraindications to cyclopentiazide
Note the expiration date of cyclopentiazide and do not take it if it has expired.
Never give cyclopentiazide to another person, even if you have the same symptoms.
Check for drug interactions, and if you are taking a drug that interacts with this medication, talk to your doctor about using your medications.
Cyclopentiazide use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation, you should not use the drug arbitrarily without consulting your doctor. Medications can have devastating effects on the fetus or on yourself.
The effect of cyclopentiazide on driving and operating machinery
This medicine may make you feel dizzy or tired, so make sure you are alert before driving or operating machinery.
Drug Interactions Cyclopentiazide
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Special warnings and precautions while taking cyclopentiazide
Some medications may not be prescribed under certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed; Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking cyclopentiazide:
- If you are pregnant or planning to become pregnant, or if you are breast-feeding.
- If you have kidney or liver problems.
- If you have diabetes, gout or systemic lupus erythematosus (SLE).
- If you have an adrenal gland problem called Addison’s disease.
- If you are taking certain medications. These medicines include all the medicines available, whether you are prescribed them or taking them without a doctor’s prescription, such as herbal medicines and complementary medicines.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to a drug.
Side effects of cyclopentazide
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Some of the side effects go away shortly after taking the medicine. In case of persistent side effects, the physician should be informed:
Feeling tired, dizzy when standing
Feeling sick, stomach ache or vomiting: If these symptoms are very severe and make you numb, see your doctor.
Consult your doctor if you have any other symptoms that you feel may be due to cyclopentiazide.
Cyclopentiazide overdose (drug poisoning)
Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
If you feel that you have been poisoned by drugs and notice symptoms such as shortness of breath or fainting (fainting), call the emergency room immediately.
Storage conditions of cyclopentiazide
Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
Store the medicine in a cool, dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.