Application: Inflammation and infection of the external ear (otitis externa)
Medication Information Dexamethasone Ear Spray
Medication Information: Otitis externa is a term used for otitis externa. If water, shampoo or soap gets in your ear, it will cause itching in your ear. If you scratch your ear due to itching, it will damage the skin of your ear canal and cause inflammation in your ear. Inflamed skin can sometimes be infected by bacteria or fungi and you can get an infection.
The brand name for dexamethasone ear spray with antibacterials is Otomize. It contains dexamethasone, neomycin and acetic acid. These substances help to eliminate inflammation, infection, itching and pain. Dexamethasone ear spray is available by prescription only and can be prescribed for adults and children over 2 years old. For more information on dexamethasone and dexamethasone eye drops, see the page for those medications.
Contraindications Dexamethasone ear spray
- Pay attention to the expiration date of the medicine and do not take it if the medicine in your hand has expired.
- Never give the medicine to anyone else, even if you have the same symptoms.
- Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
- Check for drug interactions and be sure to tell your doctor what other medications you are taking.
Drug interaction of dexamethasone ear spray
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Tips to consider before using dexamethasone ear spray
Some medications are not suitable for people with certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed. Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking dexamethasone ear spray:
- If you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- If your eardrum is punctured or you have a rubber band in your ear.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to a drug.
Possible side effects of dexamethasone ear spray
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Consult your doctor if you have a persistent complication that you feel is due to the use of dexamethasone ear spray.
How to maintain dexamethasone ear spray
- Keep all medicines out of the reach of children.
- Keep the medicine in a cool, dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.
- The expiration date of the spray is four weeks after the first use, after that time do not use the spray at all.