What you will read next:
Atambutol Drug Information
Medication Information: Ethambutol is used to treat tuberculosis (TB). Tuberculosis is a bacterial infection that mainly affects the lungs, but can affect any part of your body. This disease can be treated with 6 months of using TB drugs. Several drugs must be used to treat tuberculosis, with ethambutol being one of the drugs prescribed during the first two months of treatment.
Contraindications to the use of ethambutol
- Note the expiration date of ethambutol and do not take it if it has expired.
- Never give the medicine to anyone else, even if you have the same symptoms.
- Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
- Check for drug interactions and be sure to tell your doctor what other medications you are taking.
Drug interaction of ethambutol
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Tips to consider before taking ethambutol
Some medications may not be prescribed under certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed. Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking ethambutol:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have any kidney problems.
- If you have vision problems.
- If you are taking certain medications. These medicines include all the medicines available, whether you are prescribed them or taking them without a doctor’s prescription, such as herbal medicines and complementary medicines.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to another medicine.
Possible side effects of ethambutol
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Some side effects go away shortly after taking ethambutol. In case of persistent side effects, the doctor should be informed:
- Vision problems such as color blindness, blurred vision, poor eyesight, vision loss
How to store ethambutol
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
- Keep the medicine in a cool, dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.