How do I know if I have borderline personality disorder?
What are the characteristics of people with borderline personality?
Do you have borderline personality disorder? Do you have people around you and friends who may have borderline personality disorder?
If you want to find out more about borderline personality disorder
I think I have borderline personality disorder
In the following, we will inform you about the characteristics of people with borderline personality.
Doctors classify borderline personality disorder as a disorder between mood disorders and psychotic disorders.
The hallmark of people with this personality disorder is the instability of their emotional states and moods and behaviors.
The interpersonal relationships of these people are very unstable.
These people have troubled relationships and sometimes they become frustrated and overwhelmed by over-idealizing their friends and partners.
Severe anger and repeated suicidal ideation are other characteristics of people with borderline personality disorder.
They commit suicide and other deceptive behaviors, such as reckless and fast driving.
Fear of rejection and self-harm are characteristics of these people.
Symptoms and manifestations of people with borderline personality disorder
- Mood instability
- Emotional instability
- Extreme anger
- Fear of rejection
- Interpersonal relationships are very unstable
- History of relationships with a large number and chaotic
- Repeated suicide attempts
- Deceptive behaviors
In these people, self-harm is associated with reduced anxiety
They are very sensitive to environmental conditions.
They are very afraid of being abandoned and rejected because they think that being rejected is the equivalent of being bad.
These people cannot be alone at all. They strongly avoid loneliness and therefore experience a lot of relationships.
These people should always be in touch with others.
These people may harm themselves in order to get along with others and escape from loneliness in order to pull others to their side, such as cutting off their hands and wrists or hitting the skin of the abdomen with obesity.
These people feel empty and worthless and think they are worthless in terms of personality, social, educational and professional.
They perform high-risk and dangerous activities such as driving for very long hours, drinking alcohol and taking drugs, and having very unrestrained sexual relations with multiple sexual partners, and being extravagant and…
In these people, the inappropriate environment and the feeling of rejection cause a lot of anger.
Statistics and Epidemiology
In the United States, according to a valid statistical study of a large population of adults, the prevalence of borderline personality disorder varies in the following range:
Other studies have defined the prevalence rate in the following range:
- About 20% of the cases referred to psychiatrists are people with borderline personality disorder.
- Seventy-five percent of women have the disorder.
(A study found that men suffer from this personality disorder as much as women, but in men this disorder is confused with depression and ptsd)
People with borderline personality disorder behave consciously, for example, consciously harming themselves to get rid of loneliness.
What causes borderline personality disorder?
The main reason is still unknown.
But doctors consider the following factors to be effective in the process of this disorder:
- Suitable genetics
- Brain structure and function
- Environmental factors
- The society in which one lives and grows
- The dominant social culture in which the individual has grows in it.
- A combination of three factors are effective in causing this disorder:
- Genetic factor plus biological factor plus environmental factor
It is said that inappropriate and unpleasant experiences in childhood can be associated with an increased risk of borderline personality disorder.
The role of childhood experiences, especially the child’s circumstances and experiences in the first three years of life is very important.
- Unstable mother
- Rejection of the child in those years
- Lack of security in childhood
- Continuous punishment of the child
- Ignoring the child’s feelings
- busy caught
- incompatible Parents
- Divorce of parents
- Conflicts between parents at home
are the important underlying causes of this personality disorder.
An important point:
Many permanent manifestations and symptoms of borderline disorder may occur only in a short period of time when a person has a mood disorder, so the physician should not diagnose the patient only on cross-sectional symptoms.
What environments and conditions are suitable for people with borderline personality disorder?
- Stress-free environment
- In the presence of an infected person, his or her disorder should not be talked about
- In the presence of the infected person, you should put aside fights and arguments
- Avoid exaggerating the improvement of the disorder in the affected person
- People around him or her should listen to him/her carefully and patiently, even if they disagree with his or her views and ideas, and they do not need to express their views.
- Listening to these people is not to confirm their words, but to form a friendly and sincere relationship.
- Others should not try to win the discussion by talking to them.
Treatment of this disease
The treatment process is currently making significant progress.
Medication, family therapy and group therapy have had good results.
In addition to counseling and psychotherapy, are effective.
Group therapy helps a lot in improving behaviors and helps the affected person to replace good behaviors with bad behaviors and to teach it to his or her peers.
Today, a therapy has been developed for this disorder called dialectical behavior, and it causes proper control of borderline personality disorder.