General English name: Nalidixic acid
Application: Urinary tract infection
Pharmaceutical forms of nalidixic acid
Nalidixic acid drug information
Nalidixic acid is prescribed to treat urinary tract infections caused by certain bacteria. Nalidixic acid is an antibacterial that works by killing sensitive bacteria in the urinary tract by stopping the supply of essential proteins needed by bacteria to survive.
Amount and method of taking nalidixic acid
- Read the package leaflet carefully before starting treatment with nalidixic acid. This brochure will help you to get comprehensive information about the drug and its possible side effects.
- The dose and amount of nalidixic acid tablets vary from person to person; Use the medicine exactly as your doctor advised.
- Take the medicine regularly until the infection is completely cured.
- Do not take medicines containing magnesium (eg, quinapril, dianosine, vitamins), aluminum, calcium, sucralfate, iron, or zinc for 2-3 hours before or after taking nalidixic acid. These drugs prevent the absorption of nalidixic acid.
- Nalidixic acid can be taken with or without food, it is better to take this drug with food to reduce digestive problems.
- If you forget to take your daily dose at the right time but soon forget, take the medicine; But if you remember much later than usual, do not take the missed dose. You should not take two doses of the medicine together because of the missed dose.
Contraindications to nalidixic acid
- Note the expiration date of nalidixic acid and do not take it if your medicine has expired.
- Never give nalidixic acid to another person, even if you have the same symptoms.
- Check for drug interactions, and if you are taking a drug that interacts with this medication, talk to your doctor about using your medications.
Nalidixic acid consumption during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation, you should not use the drug arbitrarily and without consulting your doctor. This medicine can have harmful effects on the fetus or on yourself.
The effect of nalidixic acid on driving and operating machinery
Nalidixic acid causes dizziness, drowsiness and headaches, you should make sure you are alert before driving or operating machinery.
Nalidixic acid drug interactions
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Do not take medicines containing magnesium (eg, quinapril, dianosine, vitamins), aluminum, calcium, sucralfate, iron, or zinc for 2-3 hours before or after taking nalidixic acid. These drugs prevent the absorption of nalidixic acid.
Special warnings and precautions when taking nalidixic acid
Some medications may not be prescribed under certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed; Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking nalidixic acid:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you are undergoing anti-cancer treatments.
- If you have liver or kidney problems.
- If you have Alzheimer’s disease.
- If you have porphyria blood disease.
- If you have a disease of the central nervous system.
- If you have a history of increased pressure in the brain.
- If you have a history of heart problems such as an irregular heartbeat.
- If you are taking certain medications. These medicines include all the medicines available, whether you are prescribed them or taking them without a doctor’s prescription, such as herbal medicines and complementary medicines.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to a drug.
Side effects of nalidixic acid
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Some of the side effects go away after a short time of taking the medicine. In case of persistent side effects, the physician should be informed:
Stomach pain and discomfort
Consult your doctor if you have any other symptoms that you feel are due to the use of nalidixic acid.
Overdose of nalidixic acid (drug poisoning)
Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
If you notice symptoms such as shortness of breath and loss of consciousness in yourself or another person, call the emergency room immediately.
Storage conditions of nalidixic acid
Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
Store the medicine in a cool, dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.