Application: Treatment of anemia
Forms of oxymetholone
Oxymetholone drug information
Oxymetholone is a synthetic male hormone (androgen or anabolic steroid) used to treat anemia. It helps treat anemia by increasing the amount of the hormone (erythropoietin) that is involved in the production of red blood cells.
Amount and method of taking oxymetholone
- Carefully read the package leaflet before starting treatment with oxymetholone. This brochure will help you to get comprehensive information about the drug and its possible side effects.
- The dose and amount of oxymetholone varies from person to person; Use the medicine exactly as your doctor advised.
- Take the medicine regularly.
- It may take 3-6 months for this medicine to cure your illness.
- If you forget to take your daily dose at the right time but soon forget, take the medicine; But if you remember much later than usual, do not take the missed dose. You should not take two doses of the medicine together because of the missed dose.
Contraindications to oxymetholone
- Note the expiration date of oxymetholone and do not take the medicine if it has expired.
- Never give oxymetholone to another person, even if you have the same symptoms.
- Check for oxymetholone drug interactions, and if you are using a drug that interacts with this drug, talk to your doctor about using your medications.
- This medicine should be used with caution in children under 18 years of age and in consultation with a physician.
Oxymetholone use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation, you should not use the drug arbitrarily without consulting your doctor. This medicine can have harmful effects on the fetus or on yourself.
The effect of oxymetholone on driving and working with machines
Oxymetholone makes you drowsy, you should make sure you are alert before driving or operating machinery.
Oxymetholone drug interactions
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Oxymetholone may interact with these drugs: Blood thinners such as warfarin.
This medicine may interfere with certain laboratory tests and cause erroneous results. Tell your doctor that you have used this medicine before the test.
Special warnings and precautions while taking oxymetholone
Some medications may not be prescribed under certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed; Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking oxymetholone:
- If you are pregnant or breast-feeding.
- If you have breast cancer.
- If your blood calcium level is high.
- If you have prostate cancer.
- If you have any liver or kidney problems.
- If you have a cardiovascular problem.
- If you have diabetes.
- If you have an inflation problem.
- If you are taking certain medications. These medicines include all the medicines available, whether you are prescribed them or taking them without a doctor’s prescription, such as herbal medicines and complementary medicines.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to a drug.
Side effects of oxymetholone
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Some of the side effects go away shortly after taking the medicine. In case of persistent side effects, the physician should be informed:
- Hot flashes
- Mood swings, ankle swelling, unusual or rapid weight gain, difficulty breathing, decreased or increased sex drive, acne and pimples: Consult your doctor if these symptoms bother you.
- Enlargement of the penis: This is a sign of puberty and if it is seen in people before puberty, they should see a doctor.
- Hair loss, difficulty urinating, changes in testicle size, impotence, tenderness of the breast and swelling: Consult your doctor if these symptoms bother you.
Consult your doctor if you have any other symptoms that you feel are due to the use of oxymetholone.
Excessive use of oxymetholone (drug poisoning)
- Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
- If you notice symptoms such as shortness of breath and loss of consciousness in yourself or another person, call the emergency room immediately.
Storage conditions of oxymetholone
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
- Store the medicine in a cool, dry place away from heat and direct sunlight.