Brand: Pitocin, Syntocinon
Application: Induction of labor – Enhancement of uterine contractions – Control of postpartum hemorrhage – Abortion
Forms of oxytocin
- Injectable vial
Oxytocin Drug Information
Oxytocin is a natural hormone that causes uterine contractions. Oxytocin (Pytosine is a common brand) is used to increase uterine contractions to induce labor, strengthen uterine contractions during labor, and control postpartum hemorrhage.
If a woman has a miscarriage, the drug helps complete the process by stimulating uterine contractions. You can find complete information about abortion with drugs in the article on abortion pills. Also refer to the relevant article for information on how to buy abortion pills.
Dosage and method of oxytocin
- The dose and amount of this drug varies from person to person; Use the medicine exactly as your doctor advised. It is usually given as an intravenous injection and is given in a hospital.
Contraindications to oxytocin
- Pay attention to the expiration date of oxytocin and do not take it if the medicine you are taking has expired.
- Never give oxytocin to another person, even if you have the same symptoms.
- Check for drug interactions, and if you are taking a drug that interacts with this medication, talk to your doctor about using your medications.
Oxytocin use during pregnancy and lactation
During pregnancy and lactation, you should not use the drug arbitrarily without consulting your doctor. Medications can have devastating effects on the fetus or on yourself. As this medicine induces labor, never use this medicine during pregnancy without consulting your doctor. As mentioned, this drug is also used for abortion and is harmful to the fetus.
The effect of oxytocin on driving and working with machines
This medicine may make you dizzy or lethargic, so make sure you are alert before driving or operating machinery.
Oxytocin drug interactions
Drug interactions may alter drug performance and increase the risk of serious side effects. Make a list of all the medicines (including prescription / over-the-counter and herbal medicines) you use and share them with your doctor and pharmacist. Do not change the dose of your medicine without consulting your doctor or stop taking the medicine.
Caffeine-containing medications such as migraine headache medications, cough and cold medications containing decongestants (such as pseudoephedrine, phenylephrine), and hyperactivity medications such as Ritalin may affect the action of this medication, be sure to tell your doctor. That you use these drugs.
Special warnings and precautions while taking oxytocin
Some medications may not be prescribed under certain conditions, and some medications may be prescribed if additional treatment is needed; Therefore, it is best for your doctor to be aware of the following before taking oxytocin:
- If you are breast-feeding.
- If you have a cardiovascular problem, high blood pressure or arrhythmia.
- If you have genital herpes.
- If you have diabetes.
- If you have cervical cancer.
- If you have a severe infection of the uterus.
- If you have a history of more than 5 pregnancies.
- If it is difficult for you to give birth due to the small size of the pelvis.
- If you have a history of cervical or cervical surgery.
- If you are less than 37 weeks pregnant.
- If you are taking certain medications. These medicines include all the medicines available, whether you are prescribed them or taking them without a doctor’s prescription, such as herbal medicines and complementary medicines.
- If you have a history of an allergic reaction to a drug.
Side effects of oxytocin
All medications can cause side effects. But many consumers also do not experience any side effects. Some of the side effects go away after a short time of taking the medicine. In case of persistent side effects, the physician should be informed:
- Nausea, vomiting
- Runny nose, pain or irritation of the sinuses
- Memory impairment
- Severe or frequent uterine contractions
- Rapid, slow or irregular heartbeat, excessive postpartum hemorrhage, low sodium levels in the body, headache, dizziness, boredom, severe weakness, vomiting, loss of coordination, feeling of imbalance, high blood pressure, severe headache Blurred vision, anxiety, nosebleeds: If you have such complications, see a doctor immediately.
Consult your doctor if you have any other symptoms that you feel are due to oxytocin use.
Oxytocin overdose (drug poisoning)
- Do not take more than the dose prescribed by your doctor.
- If you feel that someone has a drug poisoning and you have symptoms such as shortness of breath or fainting (fainting), call the emergency room right away.
Storage conditions of oxytocin
- Keep the medicine out of the reach of children.
- Oxytocin is stored in a hospital under appropriate conditions.