Are you experiencing stomach pain relieved by eating? Does this pain bother you in this article you will find everything related to this article what is its cause treatment prevention. Stomach pain relieved by eating is mostly due to peptic ulcer disease.
Mostly the cause of stomach pain relieved by eating is Peptic ulcer disease, that happens when open sores, or ulcers, form in the stomach or in first part of the small intestine that is duodenum. Many cases develop due to a bacterial infection which eats away the protective lining of the digestive system. People who frequently take pain killers are most likely to develop ulcers.
Stomach pain relieved by eating can have few causes like PUD is the main cause peptic ulcer disease , gastritis can also cause this but is mostly not that serious.
What are the symptoms and causes of stomach pain relieved by eating?
- Peptic ulcer disease
One in 10 people in world develop an ulcer which causes pain which gets relieved by eating . Risk factors that make one prone to ulcers include following :
- Use of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs frequently like ibuprofen
- Family history of developing ulcers.
- Few Illnesses such as liver, kidney or lungdisease.
- Regular alcohol use.
Symptoms of PUD
- Burning stomach pain which gets mostly better after eating
- Feeling of fullness or bloating .
- Intolerance to certain greasy foods.
Common peptic ulcer symptom is burning stomach pain which gets relived by eating. The acid present in stomach makes the pain worse, as does having an empty stomach. The pain is mostly relieved by eating certain foods which buffer stomach acid or by taking an acid-reducing medication, but then it may come back after a while . This type of pain maybe worse between meals and at night. Many people with it don’t have any symptoms.
Less commonly ulcers may cause severe signs or symptoms such as following:
- Normal Vomiting or vomiting blood — which may appear red or black.
- Dark stools, which are black or tarry.
- Trouble in breathing.
- Feeling dizzy.
- Unexplained sudden weight loss.
- Change in appetite
In earlier times people used to think that stress or certain foods could cause ulcers. But researchers didn’t find any evidence to support those theories. Instead, two main causes of ulcers that have been found are :
Helicobacter pylori (H. pylori) bacteria.
- H. pylori bacteria
- pylori usually infects the stomach. About 50% of the world’s population have an H. pylori infection, commonly without symptoms. It’s believed that people can transmit H. pylori from person to person, especially during childhood phase. The H. pylori bacteria stick to the layer of mucus and cause infection and inflammation there in the digestive tract , which may cause this protective lining to break down. This breakdown becomes problem because stomach contains strong acid intended to digest food and without this layer to protect it, the acid can eats the stomach tissue. However, for most people the presence of H. pylori in stomach doesn’t have a negative impact. And only 10% to 15% of people with it end up developing an ulcer in there life. When this causes an ulcer person stomach pain can happen and which often gets relieved by eating .
- Pain relievers
Another major thing that causes peptic ulcer disease is the use of NSAIDs, it’s a group of medications used to relieve pain. NSAIDS can eat away the mucus layer in the digestive tract. These medications have a great potential to cause peptic ulcers to form like:
Aspirin, Naproxen , Ibuprofen. And after these ulcers develop persons stomach pain is relieved by eating. Acetaminophen often confused with NSAID is not an NSAID and Wouldn’t cause damage to stomach. People who can’t take NSAIDs are advised to take acetaminophen instead. Not all people who take NSAIDs will develop ulcers. NSAID use plus H. pylori infection is potentially a great danger .
People who have H. pylori infection and also frequently use NSAID have great chances for damage of mucus layer, and their damage can be more severe. Developing an ulcer from NSAID usage can greatly increase if person is taking high doses of NSAIDs, if person is 70 years or older , if the gender is female or Using corticosteroids at the same time as taking the NSAIDs, Using NSAIDS continuously for a long period of time Or Having a history of ulcer disease.
Gastritis is a common and general term for a group of conditions with one thing in common which is inflammation of the lining of the stomach.
The inflammation of gastritis can be the result of infection with the same bacterium that causes most stomach ulcers or any other bacterium. Drinking too much alcohol can also cause gastritis.
Gastritis can occur suddenly ,or appear gradually over time . In some cases, gastritis can cause ulcers and an increased risk of developing stomach cancer. For most people, however, usually gastritis isn’t serious and improves quickly with certain treatment. The symptoms of gastritis include following:
- Burning ache or pain in upper abdomen that may become either be worse or better with eating.
- Feeling full soon in upper abdomen after eating
How to diagnosis stomach pain relieved by eating?
Diagnosis can be made mostly through a proper history of symptoms. If a patient complains of having stomach pain which is relieved by eating our first instinct goes to PUD and If anyone develops an ulcer and is not taking NSAIDs, the cause is more likely an H. pylori infection.
To confirm the diagnosis, these tests need to be performed :
If one has severe symptoms, doctor may recommend an upper endoscopy to determine if an ulcer is present or not. In this procedure, the doctor inserts an endoscope which is a small, lighted tube with a tiny camera on it through the throat and into the stomach to look for abnormalities.
- H. Pylori tests:
Tests for H. pylori are these days widely used and doctor will give treatment to reduce your symptoms and kill the bacteria. A breath test is the most easiest way to detect H. pylori. Doctor can also look for it with a blood or stool test, or even by taking a sample during the endoscopy procedure.
- Imaging tests:
These are used less frequently, imaging tests like X-rays and CT scans are used to detect ulcers. One may have to drink a specific liquid that coats the digestive tract and makes ulcers more and more visible to imaging machines.
What is the management and treatment for stomach pain relieved by eating?
Sometimes ulcers can heal on their own, that doesn’t mean one should ignore the warning signs. Without the right treatment and proper diagnosis ulcers can lead to serious health problems, which can include:
- Perforation that is hole through the wall of the stomach.
- Gastric outlet obstruction which blocks the passageway from the stomach to the small intestine.
If the type of ulcer is bleeding, doctor may treat it during an endoscopy by injecting medications into it directly.
Doctor may also use a clamp or cauterization to seal it off for stopping the bleeding.
Doctors treat ulcers for most people with medications, like:
- Proton pump inhibitors (PPI): These are the type of which drugs reduce acid that allows the ulcer to heal.
- Histamine receptor blockers (H2 blockers): These are the drugs also reduce acid production and heal the ulcer.
- Antibiotics: These are the medications that kill bacteria. Doctors use them in treatment for H. pylori.
- Protective medications: Like a liquid bandage, these type of medications cover the ulcer in a protective layer so that they prevent further damage from digestive acids and enzymes
What to do to prevent stomach pain relieved by eating?
One may be able to prevent ulcers from forming if :
- Ask the doctor about alternatives to NSAID medications (like acetaminophen) to relieve pain.
- Must discuss protective measures with the doctor, if can’t stop taking an NSAID.
- Take the lowest effective dose of NSAID and take it during the meal.
- Stop smoking.
- Stop alcohol or drink alcohol in moderation.
What are the complications which can result from stomach pain relieved by eating?
Complications caused by PUD and gastritis if left untreated:
- Internal bleeding: Bleeding can happen to the extent as slow as blood loss which can lead to anemia or to extent as severe as blood loss that may require hospitalization or even blood transfusion. Severe blood loss may cause black stools called melena, or blood vomit called hematemesis.
- Perforation: It can cause hole in stomach wall. Peptic ulcers can perforate through the wall of the stomach or small intestine, putting person at risk of serious infections of abdominal cavity like peritonitis.
- Obstruction: Peptic ulcers may block passage of food from stomach to intestine through the digestive tract, causing a person to become full easily, to vomit or to lose weight either through swelling from the inflammation or through the scarring.
- Gastric cancer: Studies have shown that people infected with H. pylori have an increased risk of gastric cancer then the normal population that’s why follow up is necessary