If you want to get complete information about the symptoms following a bee sting.
If you are worried about swelling, following a bee sting.
Bee stings are one of the most common cases we will encounter, although residents of the tropics may experience bee stings more than others.
Most bee stings will go away without bothering you, despite the discomfort it causes.
What is the difference between Wasp and bee?
Wasp also has a sting and will use it for defense.
The sting of the wasp contains venom that will be transmitted to the human body during the sting.
The toxin in the bites of insects, snakes and… is called venom.
Wasp sting can cause obvious irritation and pain at the site of the bite, even if they do not leave their sting in your skin. Also, the occurrence of serious and serious reactions will not be far from the mind. The occurrence of serious reactions and even anaphylactic shock in people who have a history of allergies to venom will be very likely.
It is important to note that immediate treatment is necessary to alleviate the symptoms and alleviate the complications. Delaying the start of treatment is not appropriate at all.
Most people who do not have a major allergy to sting usually have mild symptoms after a bee sting.
These people consider the following as their first clinical manifestations:
- Sharp pain at the site of the bite
- burning at the site of the bite
And some mention that:
is also added to the pain and burning of the bite site.
What reactions would be normal?
What reactions should we consider unusual and severe?
In the following, we will answer the above questions:
- Normal reaction at the bite site:
It is normal for the area around the bite to have bumps.
You may notice a slight white mark in the middle of the bite.
Pain and swelling usually subside within a few hours of the bite.
- Large local reactions:
(Large Local Reaction) refers to symptoms that occur following the bite of a wasp or normal bee outside the normal reaction range described above.
These large reactions will mainly affect people who have allergies to venom. These people experience the anaphylactic shock that is really life threatening.
What are the manifestations of a large local reaction to a wasp sting?
Increased swelling and redness at the site of the bite, which spreads two to three days after the bite, so if you have had a bee sting and have had extensive swelling and redness at the site of the bite forty-eight hours after the bite, know that You have a large local reaction.
may occur in these cases.
It is interesting to note that most cases of this large local reaction will improve spontaneously. Generally, it may take several weeks for this extensive reaction to subside.
In these cases, it is best to consult your doctor. Usually, your doctor will prescribe antihistamines to reduce your discomfort, itching and swelling.
Note the following: If, after forty-eight hours following a bee sting, you experience extensive swelling and redness at the site of the sting, and you are actually experiencing a large local reaction, Know that this experience will not mean that you will have this large local reaction following subsequent stings.
In other words, this may be the only time you experience such a large reaction at the site of the bite.
Probably this time, this wide-ranging local reaction has been your body’s way of responding to wasp sting, but it’s best to avoid being bitten again so you don’t have to re-experience the condition.
Anaphylaxis and wasp sting
Anaphylaxis is described as the most severe allergic reaction to any allergen.
If wasp venom causes a person’s immune system to enter the progressive dilation of blood vessels, a progressive drop in blood pressure occurs that progresses very rapidly and deprives vital organs of adequate blood supply. This is called anaphylactic shock.
The onset of anaphylactic shock is very rapid and can lead to death if left untreated.
We emphasize that anaphylaxis requires immediate emergency treatment and care.
Symptoms of the most severe type of allergic reaction to wasp venom
The following are the symptoms of the most severe type of allergic reaction to wasp venom:
- Very severe swelling of the lips, throat and face
- Swelling of the throat is very dangerous because it is progressive and can block the airway at any time.
- Difficulty breathing and shortness of breath and wheezing or gasping
- urticaria and itching all over the body, beyond the bite site.
- Lightheadedness and dizziness
- Decreased consciousness
- Stomach cramps
- Abdominal cramps
- Low blood pressure
- Weak or racing pulse
Note that during anaphylaxis, the patient does not need to show all of the above signs and symptoms. Even a few of the above manifestations in a person who has been bitten is equivalent to a severe reaction. This person is exposed to early anaphylactic shock and should be taken immediately to the nearest emergency room.
In many countries, people who have had an anaphylactic reaction or survived an anaphylactic shock have been identified, and these people are required to carry a special kit with them at all times to inject as soon as symptoms begin, an injection that can prevent shock and death by narrowing the dilated arteries.
This tool is known as Bee sting kits. This kit includes epinephrine injections or the common so-called EpiPen that one can inject oneself.
Epinephrine prevents hypotension and fatal shock by stabilizing blood pressure and increasing heart function. Epinephrine normalizes a person’s breathing by controlling the condition and, in short, prevents imminent death.
Treatments for wasp sting
Its treatment from mild to moderate:
Wash the sting site with soap and water to remove venom
Put a cold pack on the bite site to reduce swelling and inflammation
And reduce pain
Keeping the wound clean and dry to prevent infection
Sometimes closing the site with a bandage if it is comfortable.
If there is local itching, use corticosteroid hydrocortisone cream. To control itching, you can also use calamine lotion.
While bathing, one can also use baking soda and colloidal oatmeal to relieve discomfort at the site of the sting.
Use OTC drugs such as ibuprofen to control pain.
Antihistamines such as iodine Diphenhydramine and chlorpheniramine make itching and discomfort tolerable.
Note: If you have not had a booster shot during the last ten years, you should consider receiving a tetanus shot.
Treatment in cases of severe reaction
These severe allergic reactions occur in 3% of adults following bee stings and in 8% of children following bee stings.
Severe reactions are medical emergencies.
If you have Epipen, use it as soon as the symptoms appear.
If you do not have access to Epipen, call the emergency room immediately and report the history of the most severe allergies.
Emergency treatments will be as follows:
- Receive epinephrine
- Cardiopulmonary resuscitation if respiratory arrest is available
- Opening the airway
- Prescribe oxygen
Although bee and wasp stings cause similar symptoms, treatment and care will be slightly different.
The sting with bee is done only once because after the sting, the sting stays in your body, but the wasp sting can be repeated several times because wasp stingers remain intact!
If you do not have known allergies to bee.
You can remove the bee sting in the first 30 seconds after the sting and use a topical cold compress to reduce swelling and pain and use ibuprofen to relieve pain and inflammation. But if you have known bee allergy, it is necessary to use Epipen or call the emergency department immediately or go to the emergency department immediately.
In any case, if the bite site develops pain and progressive redness and pus comes out of the bite site, it is necessary to see a doctor with the possibility of infection at the bite site.